Friday, February 28, 2014

After our excursion to BADM, this mommy usually needs a coffee break from the older two before headi

Enjoy a Few Outdoor Activities with the Kids in Marin County
Sometimes you just have to get out of San Francisco, and see what awaits you across one of its two bridges. We often find ourselves in Marin County more often than I care to admit. I feel sometimes like I’m cheating on my true love, San Francisco. Depending on the day and our mood, we will usually end up in one of our favorite Marin haunts: China Camp (playing on the beach); Samuel P. Taylor Park (bike rides to the swimming holes); Lake Lagunitas (fishing); Fairfax (just hanging out); San Anselmo (Legos); fairfax ca Bolinas (to get our hippy fix).
I find that in Marin the people are a mix of hippy-chic, alternative-elite and soccer mom. They definitely enjoy and appreciate the ease of suburbia and the bounty of their land. Marin has a ton to offer kids and their parents in way of outdoor activities and other experiences.
We always start at Bay Area Discovery Museum (BADM), where we are members. BADM is at Fort Baker in Sausalito, at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge. It has a number of entertaining indoor and outdoor activities, which makes BADM a great place to visit, even when the weather is lousy. Nearby is the The Cavollo Point Hotel. I wish I didn’t live so close, because I am dying to stay there. The Cavollo Point Hotel is one of the most luxurious San Francisco hotels. Not only can you sleep in an officer’s residence, they have cooking classes and a healing arts center. I need healing — lots of it!
After our excursion to BADM, this mommy usually needs a coffee break from the older two before heading to the Terra Linda Pool, by way of the Marin Farmer’s Market. If time permits, I will drop the 6- and 9-year-old off at Play Well Lego Center in San Anselmo. This place is a life saver for any mom needing a little time alone without feeling guilty. The kids are kept busy working with Lego blocks to create whatever their imaginations can conceive, including electronic creations fairfax ca and ones that light up! You pay in 15-minute increments so you don’t have to worry about being back right on time.
Marin has, what I believe to be, the best farmer’s market for all ages and palettes. It trumps Ferry Building twofold. Although I do love the one in Alemany, for its low-key, no-scene atmosphere and affordable produce, the kids get bored quickly there. The Marin Civic Center Farmer’s Market has a great selection of produce, meats, cheeses, pastries, breads, as well as jumpy houses, clowns, music and horse rides! It pulls quite the crowd, which is proof that it continues to be a hit with parents and kids alike. This farmer s market is held year-round on Thursdays and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Marin Civic Center. Take the North San Pedro Exit off Highway 101 in San Rafael.
Our final destination is Terra Linda Pool in San Rafael. This community pool has a diving board and toddler pool, and it comes with a playground and an open lot where the kids can practice their skateboarding and bike riding. There are also some great neighborhood paths to explore. We grab sandwiches from Scotty’s Market across the way and we settle down for some swimtime. After a few hours we skip on over to Three Twins Ice Cream across fairfax ca the street and enjoy their delicious organic fare. Terra Linda Pool is located at 670 Del Ganado Road, North San Rafael (415-485-3344).
I have been lucky enough fairfax ca to call San Francisco home for over 20 years and am thrilled to be raising my kids in such a beautiful and diverse town. Although I have traveled far and wide I still think we live in the best city on this planet. My motley crew and I traverse the streets of this lovely city exploring every nook and cranny via scooter, skateboard and stroller. I am an urban adventurists seeking out kid and mom friendly establishments/activities. Please share your experiences with me as I am always on the search for more family fairfax ca fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment